Saturday 19 September 2015

Bacon and Egg Ice cream '2015'



I had a crack at this recipe back in 2013 armed with a budget ice cream maker and not a great deal of know-how when it came to the recipes of Heston Blumenthal. Since then I've invested in a Sage Smart Scoop ice cream maker which freezes the bowl within the unit and is endorsed by the man himself!

I opened up 'Heston Blumenthal at home' again recently and became pleasantly surprised by how many 'simplified' recipes are in there from The Fat Duck. As anyone who has The Fat Duck Cookbook will know, there's some serious effort needed for many of the dishes.

So this recipe heads preparation for a three-course Heston at home dinner beginning with Red Cabbage Gazpacho, onto Beef Tagliata and finishing with the iconic Bacon and Egg ice cream. The ice cream was the first task undertaken beginning with roasting rashers of smoked sweet cured bacon until crispy before adding to whole milk to infuse overnight.

Ice cream prep


The next day I combined this mixture with skimmed milk powder (the recommendation is semi-skimmed but sadly none available at this time) and heated to a simmer. Meanwhile get cracking (literally) as you need 24 egg yolks! (I halved the recipe and went for 12) to be beaten with caster sugar.


Once all that was ready its simply pouring a touch of the bacon milk into the egg mixture and stirring to prevent any premature scrambling before adding the egg mixture into the bacon one and stirring constantly until the temperature reaches 85C.


Sieving...


I remember last time I made this that the ice cream had a majorly pronounced egg-taste which didn't go down well with some. I brought the mix as close to 85C as possible, tasting as I went before pulling it off at around 82C. This resulted in a smoother, far less coagulated mix resembling ice cream far more than scrambled eggs. Passed through a sieve and left to cool before blitzing with a hand blender to ensure optimum smoothness.

Blitzed ice cream base


For the pain perdu, or in English 'eggy bread', sliced brioche is placed into a container and covered with cling film and placed in the fridge for 12 hours to render it stale. Meanwhile I mixed together milk, vanilla extract, eggs and sugar and soaked the brioche slices for 20 minutes.

Once the brioche has soaked it has to be drained and fried in clarified butter. I found doing this over a medium-high heat produced a far more even browning.
Brioche draining

The book instructs you to make a dry caramel and fry the slices to create caramelised brioche. One blogger had real trouble getting the caramel to stick to the slices this way, probably due to the grease. The solution to this was to dust the slices in caster sugar once out of the pan, similar to doughnuts. Once coated fry the slices until the sugar melts and voila! You have caramelised brioche.
Pain perdu


A bacon crisp finishes the dish, this was made by placing thinly sliced pancetta, brushed with maple syrup, between parchment paper's and two heavy baking sheets.

Plating up the dish is simple enough, two slices on pain perdu forms the base for the ice cream to rest on crowned by a strip of caramelised bacon.


The final plate


Compared to 2013's effort this was a thousand times better. The pain perdu was crunchy from the caramel and soft with a lovely vanilla flavour, really really good. The ice cream was surprisingly good! Due to not heating the mixture to 85C resulted in a far better balance of egg and bacon flavour but you could still taste both. The bacon crisp on the top added sweetness and smokiness mingling well with all the other components. It's almost like a sweet breakfast that plays with your mind.

All in all I was delighted to have conquered this much revered dish. It's a tricky one with many areas in which you can go wrong but using these methods produced an excellent result. Maybe I'll even do it again!


www.artisantraveller.com

1 comment:

  1. I was born HIV positive.at the age of 16 I lost my mother because of the HIV infection And I regretted why i never met Dr sunday who could have cured my mum for me because as a single other it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr Sunday herbal center and his herbal exploit online about how he cured all kind of human diseases like Chronic pancreatitis, HIV/Aids Herpes, Parkinson, Asthma, Autism,Copd, Epilepsy, Shingles, Cold Sore, Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome,Fibromyalgia, Love Spell, Prostate Cancer, Lung Cancer, Glaucoma., psoriasis, Cirrhosis of Liver, Cataracts, Muscular degeneration, Infectious mononucleosis., Cardiovascular disease, Lung disease. Enlarged prostate, Osteoporosis. Alzheimer's disease, psoriasis,
    Dementia, Breast Cancer, Blood Cancer, Colo-Rectal Cancer, Love Spell, Chronic Diarrhea, Ataxia, Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis, Weak Erection, Breast Enlargment, Penis Enlargment,Hpv, measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria Diabetes Hepatitis and Cancer I was so excited but frighten at the same time because I did not come across such article on the internet then I contacted Dr James on his {EMAIL drsundayherbalcenter@gmail.com}. he tells me how it works then I told him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I received my herbal medicine within 3/4 working days and I used the herbal medicine as he prescribed for me MORNING AND NIGHT and here living healthy again can imagine how God uses men to manifest his healing and powerful  works I'm writing this article in appreciation to thank Dr Sunday herbal center and to let you all know there is a cure for HIV/AIDS.THANK YOU  

    ReplyDelete