Sunday, 26 August 2012
This recipe comes courtesy of author-turned baker Marian Keyes' book 'Saved by cake'. Marian found solace in baking as a cure for depression and judging by the amount of sugar in this recipe its understandable that the depression soon went!
225g Butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
290g Soft brown sugar
2 tsp Vanilla extract
250ml Full-fat coca cola
250g Self-raising flour
30g Cocoa powder
1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
200g Mini marshmallows
90ml Full-fat coca cola
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
250g Icing sugar
Small bag of cola bottles
1. Preheat the oven to 180C and grease a rectangular baking tin (around 30cm x 25cm, 5cm deep). Line the tin with greaseproof paper or baking parchment and set aside.
2. Beat together the softened butter and sugar until light and creamy, add in the egg's and vanilla extract and beat in using an electric whisk or heavy wooden spoon.
3. In a jug, combine the cola and buttermilk and in a separate bowl combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cocoa powder, mixing well.
4. Pour a third of the cola mixture into the butter/eggs/sugar mix and stir well to combine, then add a third of the flour mixture in, mixing well. Repeat these steps until all the ingredients are combined producing a light-textured brown sponge mix. Fold the marshmallow's into the sponge mix and place into the pre-lined tin, spreading evenly.
5. Tap the tin gently on the work surface to rid any air pockets and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes, to test if the cake is done insert a skewer into the middle of the cake, if it comes out clean then your cake is done.
6. Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool in the tin, once fully cooled, release from the tin, remove the greaseproof paper and place on a wire rack while you prepare the icing.
7. In a wide saucepan, add the cocoa powder, butter and cola over a medium-low heat, once the butter is melted and the ingredients are combined, sift in the icing sugar and remove from the heat. Beat the icing sugar in vigorously with a whisk until fully combined and the texture become thick and smooth. Leave to cool for around an hour, if the texture is still loose, place the icing in the fridge once cooled, this will ensure it thickens and is easier to lay onto the cake.
8. Using a palette knife, spread the icing over the top of the cake and decorate with the cola bottles. This cake will keep for around 5 day's in an airtight container, enjoy!